James Lee Burke of New Orleans and Montana

I first heard about James Lee Burke in a newspaper article mentioning that he would be appearing at our local Montana Festival of the Book, here in Missoula.  Then I noticed that he lived just across the Bitterroot River from me, outside of town.

I purchased one of his novels that was set in the Bitterroot Valley, and was immediately HOOKED!  I next read one of his Dave Robicheaux novels set in New Orleans.  Wow!  Hooked again!

Burke has published 29 novels and I have read 23 of them.  He won Edgar Awards as the best mystery novel for Black Cherry Blues and for Cimarron Rose I have a couple of recent releases on my Kindle right now, including Crusader's Cross, The Glass Rainbow, and Pegasus Descending.

He has three series of detective novels, each centered around a separate protagonist.  I think most anyone could enjoy dipping into a Burke novel.  They are beautifully descriptive, although the violence can be graphic.  I have found that I am usually wrong when I guess how one of his novels will turn out.  Good Stuff.

Look for novels about Dave Robicheaux, Billy Bob Holland, and Hackberry Holland.  All are very entertaining, but the Robicheau novels feature the more complex plots and the most complete story line, including other family members.

Of the novels set in Montana, I especially enjoyed Bitterroot and In the Moon of Red Ponies.

No comments:

Post a Comment